From TMW: rEvolt
We should have some policies for bots. These would be my suggestions:
- Must have [BOT] in its name
- Must not be placed on a map with monsters
- Must not interact with people who do not want it
- Must not be programmed in a way which exploits, obstructs or confuses other players
To make sure that bots adhere to these rules their sourcecode should be made public or at least disclosed to the server admin. --Crush 22:41, 2 March 2009 (UTC)
Most of this suggested policy seems quite sensible to me, bots should be identifiable and non-disruptive.
I don't have a problem sharing my code other than it's embarrassing kludginess, but requiring an author to disclose their code for the reason you state does not make much sense to me. A few questions this suggested policy leaves me asking myself:
- Wouldn't it be very easy for me to run different code than the copy I've shared?
- Is it policy that every homemade or third-party client modification needs admin approval before use?
- Should I re-submit the code every time I revise it?
- Would someone intent on running a disruptive bot even ask for approval or otherwise advertise their bots existence in the first place?
Madcamel 00:29, 3 March 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, but when it becomes apparent you would get your bot banned immediately.
- No, it is not, but normal clients aren't allowed to automatize gameplay while the user is AFK either.
- Yes. Otherwise it would create a loophole.
- The definition of "disruptive" might vary from person to person. A use of a bot which might be found acceptable by the creator might be considered unacceptable by the server admin (Example: A bot which does global announcements by reading the online list and whispering to every single character on it). To avoid tedious discussions why a specific bot has been refused the criterias for bot approval should be public.
- --Crush 04:01, 3 March 2009 (UTC)
With this much red tape involved, it is not worth it for me to run a bot. Madcamel 07:53, 3 March 2009 (UTC)
Confused Tree active again
I18nI would like to ask for adding
template into this wiki page.
Category please add category listing to article [[Category:Bots]]
I've created the page CrazyTree but I don't have permission to add it here. Please add it for me, thx!