(Redirected from Testing Server)
Before developers release game content onto the official server, they'd like feedback from other developers and playtesters. This testing server regularly restarts for content fixes and tweaks.
There are several ways to test:
- Developer testing : Developer needs to test her/his Code/Map/Graphics in realistic condition and mostly knows about the weaknesses of the project and tries to know if the solutions he she/he chose are the good ones. But none can be protected against the developer highest fear: the bug; because she/he knows her/his work too much.
- Player testing : A play-tester needs to perform the tests in conditions as close as possible of those the players will meet in game after the project is released. Thus cheating is forbidden to them except in special situations. Even items in inventory should be as close to the one they would have in real game. And testers must imagine too that they can make errors in answering NPCs or bringing wrong items or insufficient number of them.
To become a tester:
- You must first know the game a bit, be registered on forum and follow a Test Topic, create an account on the test server and begin to test. You may ask later to join the testers group to lead developers or administrators if they forget to invite you.
Where to report :
Author of the improvement will mostly ask for her/his prefferred way to report. Mainly it should be a [Test] Topic in the feedback section of the Forum, but some may prefer some different ways.
How to report :
- Reporting a test is basically like Reporting Bugs except that you can control the starting conditions of the test, and that it is possible (at least theoretically) to repeat the trials. To perform a good test you must
- Specify precisely the starting conditions: level, class, status and job status, skills.... equipment employed if necessary, maybe client.
- Do NOT use unrealistic Status for serious job.
- Note even schematically the main steps of the steps and the remarks that come to your mind, they can be useful (even if you think they are not important).
- Do not try to presume anything about the developers intentions.
- Avoid @commands as much as possible (they can biase your feelings too) and generally speaking: do not try to cheat
- Read Dialogs carefully: Effort was made by developer to make the story and dialogs nice. When not bugs, misspellings are still issues.
- Watch the graphic environment: Effort was made by developers to make it pleasant. It may hide issues too.
As a summary: be a fair and wise player, take notes about what you feel and do.
Client may (will) have an influence on the way you play and on the impressions you have. It may have to be tested too.
- Manaplus client: http://manaplus.evolonline.org
There are several levels of GM ability, depending on the person's role on the development team. Note that the primary purpose of this server is to allow developers and testers to test new and unfinished content. To keep it open to the public, we've restricted access to certain GM commands which have been abused to interfere with testing.
- To get access to this commands type "@gm gm" in normal chat.
- @warp to map locations
- @item to make items for your character
- @zeny to make money for your character
- @heal, @alive, @die
- @hide to avoid being attacked by monsters
- @who who is online?
- @whogm same but with GM status
Use the Debug NPCs in each town to set levels and skills
- Official Testers
- all the above plus
- @goto another player
- @spawn monsters to fight
- @broadcast announcements to others on the server
- @pvpon/pvpoff on maps
- @blvl and @jlvl to change level
- Official Content Developers
- access to almost all GM commands
Our server is located at testing.themanaworld.org, port 6902.